Monday, April 6, 2009

The Forgotten: Walt Weiss

Being only 16, I grew up reading baseball history for as long as I could could remember. I didn't start following current baseball up until 1999 when I started playing All-Star Baseball on my N64. In this segment, which you will be seeing every once in a while is dedicated to the players I grew up watching who aren't really talked about these days.


Hopefully this will have a sig on it someday

Being a Phillies fan, I used to watch Walt a lot in 99-00 when he was with the Braves. When I first started getting into collecting, I saw a card of him making a really nice diving catch (98 Collectors Choice, still have the card) and I knew he had to be good. Though his bat wasn't too good, he had one of the best gloves out there. At the very demanding position of SS, he committed under 20 errors every season except one. What many don't know is that he was the Rookie of the Year in 1988 and won himself one World Series in 1989 with the A's.

As for what he's doing today, Weiss has basically stayed out of the limelight. He does a lot of charity work with many organizations in North New York. As for his signing habits, don't expect to get him ttm. The guy has never really signed past his playing career, and if he does, it is very sporadically. I plan on writing to him with some money in the near future and hopefully I can get a signed 1990 Fleer. Look forward to another forgotten player tonight, as I will be updating in a couple hours.

-LanceBurnitz

No comments:

Post a Comment